#MeToo



It's seems 2017 is the year of social movements, exposure, and protests. With the Bill Cosby case, the nation was shocked and swept away by the details of women sexually harassed or assaulted by Cosby. This brought many women out of the shadows of shame and brought to light the sexual harassment women face in the working sector. Below is a list of names provided by CNN of powerful men accused on multiple accounts or have admitted themselves to sexual misconduct.

Hollywood

  • Harvey Weinstein
  • Kevin Spacy 
  • James Toback 
  • Ben Affleck

Politics 

  • George H.W. Bush

Television 

  • Chris Savino 
  • Roy Price

Media

  • Mark Halperin 
  • Michael Oreskes
  • Lockhart Steele

Link to Full CNN Article for specifics on each named person: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/25/us/list-of-accused-after-weinstein-scandal-trnd/index.html

Media has been the driving force for this movement like all others in the last five or so years. Whether it be on televised news or social media, we are seeing a boom of women, including female public figures, tell their stories of sexual harassment or assault. This created a hashtag on social media used by teens, young adults, working women, and famous women called me too. 



Like the #icebucketchallenge and #blacklivesmatter, #metoo is another hashtag creating social awareness and conscience but also may result in big social change. The "boys will be boys" excuse for poor conduct and mistreatment of girls and women is changing. Women no longer feel the burden of shame or need to keep it to themselves, as their silence has made it okay for boys and men to act poorly and unprofessionally. Social media and news outlets have really help to make sure that sexual harassment is a male issue by exposing the behavior and no longer normalizing it. This is one of the most powerful example as to how media can truly shape and reform society and how children are encultured to behave in the future. With the mass exposure of this misconduct on TV, magazines/newspapers, the internet, and social media; their would not be nearly as much awareness nor change.  

Comments

  1. This is a great post. I really enjoyed reading it. I agree, 2017 has been an extremely eventful year and with 2018 around the corner, I'm sure only new things will appear. I'm always on social media so I'm aware with the #MeToo movement. I believe it is a wonderful movement to create social awareness about this issue that sexual harassment is normal. Not sure if you're aware, but I also saw Uma Thurman, star of The Kill Bill series, come out with an Instagram post of her speaking out on Harvey Weinstein. You should check it out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the whole human population can totally agree that 2017 has been quite an eventful year. I was actually not aware of the #MeToo movement. It’s sad what happened with the Cosby case. It’s also sad how women are being sexually harassed and abused. In this century people hear a lot more about women being abused and men not respecting women. I do believe the movement that was created on social media does have a positive influence on the media. It’s proposing a good cause and hoping the reduction of sexual harassment on women will reduce.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Talk About Birth Control

Facebook and Russia