Let's Talk About Birth Control

The Facts

The Department Health and Human Services issued new rules allowing businesses and non-profit organizations the ability to deny employees contraceptive coverage in their health insurances based on religious or moral objections. The American Civil Liberties Union sued the administration in San Francisco federal court to stop the ruling declaring it was a constitutional violation to keep state and church separate. States such as California and Massachusetts also took legal action and more than a dozen state attorney general's threatened legal action. 

This is a monumental win for conservatives as new healthcare policies under Trumps administration have proven to be failures. During his campaign, Trump did criticize contraception mandate under Obama and was one of the main reasons he drew strong support from conservative Christian voters.

The general response from political commentators with a background in law, business, and healthcare seem too all agree that big trademark companies would not take this step in amending health insurances for employees. First, many large employers already provided birth control coverage prior to Obama's mandate and will continue to do regardless of any exemptions that may be available. Additionally "why would a publicly traded company risk alienating potential shareholders by taking such a step?" asked Law Professor at Western Reserve University Jonathan Adler.



Opinions/Discussion

If I am being candid, this is complete bullshit. Under no circumstance should there be a federal law, policy, or mandate based on religion especially in a country like the US. We are a nation diverse in religion, race, culture, and tradition. We cannot make laws based on Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism etc. Our laws should reflect our diversity as a nation and should not stop or take away someones choice to use contraception because of another's objection based on religion. 

Luckily, we do not have to worry too much as most employers, if not all, will continue to cover birth control. However, I do believe the implementation of this option to opt out is dangerous;  for the sake of women's health and security, should be reversed. 

I am truly confused as to how much politicians know about women's health. I already find it inconceivable that feminine hygiene products are taxed and now this! It really makes you wonder if those making decisions know anything about the female anatomy. 

What do you think of this ruling? Do you believe church and state should stay separate or do you believe this was the right decision? 

Comments

  1. I like your take on this issue. There are cases with Hobby Lobby going on concerning religious owners who want to give their employees health insurance but do not want to condone the use or pay for the use of birth control through their insurance. I like how you bring up the fact about how much politicians know about woman health. I do not agree with this ruling at all. My views are very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog, I also like your take on the issue. My opinion is very similar to yours. I'm also unsure about whether or not the individuals making the decisions know anything about the female anatomy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#MeToo

Facebook and Russia