DACA: The Purpose, The Issue, The Protest
What is DACA and What is its Purpose?
The Issue at hand Today
Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the Trump administration is rescinding DACA program September 5th, 2014, leaving three-quarters of a million people in limbo. Congress has six months to phase out and come up with a plan of action before currently protected individuals lose all DACA benefits and live an unforeseeable future.
In the past 73 hours since DACA's impending future was revealed many Americans, Dreamers, and CEO's have vocalized their disapproval and concerns about these children and young adults future. DACA does not hurt the US security, economy, or society. In fact, it's a temporary solution for a pre-existing immigration problem, which the Dreamers Act and many policies that followed failed to do with nearly as much stability and understanding as DACA. Furthermore, "Research from both the right-leaning Cato Institute and left-leaning Center for American Progress suggests Trump's economic and immigration goals may be diametrically opposed. Their research indicates that ending DACA -- and deporting the workers who will no longer enjoy legal status -- could reduce the size of the U.S. economy by anywhere from $280 billion to $430 billion over the next decade." ("The Insane Economic Cost of Ending DACA" Ian Salisbury, 2017)
Social media was flooding with commentary of disapproval and fear as well as approval and rejoice. It was an interesting day to be on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. However, I believe the outcry of fear was the strongest emotion expressed on social media after the news broke out. There were many people I follow on social media who revealed their immigration status in solidarity, as well as people vowing to fight for DACA's future. Additionally, people have been texting the number 504-09 in resistance. The phone number connects you with "Resistbot". After a series of questions such as your name and zip code, it allows people to text letters to their representatives. Resistbot the formats the information and faxes it directly to your current representative.
The Protest
Social media was flooding with commentary of disapproval and fear as well as approval and rejoice. It was an interesting day to be on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. However, I believe the outcry of fear was the strongest emotion expressed on social media after the news broke out. There were many people I follow on social media who revealed their immigration status in solidarity, as well as people vowing to fight for DACA's future. Additionally, people have been texting the number 504-09 in resistance. The phone number connects you with "Resistbot". After a series of questions such as your name and zip code, it allows people to text letters to their representatives. Resistbot the formats the information and faxes it directly to your current representative.
Questions
In light of all that has happened in the last few years, do you think protesting has made a difference? Been successful?
If Congress doesn't come up with a course of action before times is up, where do you think that leaves those enrolled and those still in the shadows?

First sentence in "The Issue at Hand Theory" I assume is a typo 2017 rather than 2014.
ReplyDeleteThat's beside the point. This article is good! I have been reading on a lot of these articles from the classmates and I recall coming across one that spoke on how a lot of people think of the Latino/Hispanic communities which are impacted by this. They stated that there are European immigrants who are being harmed by this as well and stated a very valid question, that if more Americans knew about this or considered it would their stance on this be any different? My friend who's family is from Mexico city is skeptical of this program on the basis that it will be used as a way to document immigrants coming into the country. She's untrustworthy of the government and honestly I don't blame her. I agree with most of her logic toward things like this.
I personally think it has helped in states which tend to provide better social and civil services but in other states this could be going on deaf ears only because of the people in power. Perhaps they lack the ability to implement policy adequately or rather the people don't agree with it (more often than not it's the politicians who use this as an excuse).
Never the less, very good article :)
I spoke about DACA as well. I couldn't but to think about what if I was in the shoes. I feel like it is unnecessary removing the program. Id does not hinder the U.S in anyway and if anything we've learned it is beneficial. According to CNN Money, if DACA is removed, which would remove over 800,000 people from the work force, over the next decade America is estimated to lose over half a trillion dollars. And you know the U.S is all about the money, so I would assume they'll try to make this work if it's in their best interest.
ReplyDelete